--0016e64af048c404ed04778eb4b8

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:55 AM, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / gmail.com> wrote:

> You've got the onus the wrong way around.
>
> And adding C-like operators based on a partiular assembly language to
> any 21st century language, especially a high-level one, just seems
> absurd!
>
> Extra documentation so we can save three characters (a++ instead of a
> + ) in a rare use case?  No thanks!

I think you're missing why ++ could be useful, and it's precisely because
Ruby is a "21st century language"

The ++ operator, far more than just being syntactic sugar for + would
allow you to send an "increment" message to any object, which would change
its value in place, i.e.

  def ++
    incrementing_logic_goes_here
  end