Well, here goes. I did it the bad way (no flowcharts or anything) and
it was pretty painful (meaning I regretted it later). I got it to the
point where it is semi-reasonable but it's not very um, Rubyish. I
ironed out all the showstopper bugs but I'm sure there's quite a few
more. In any case it works after a fashion (compared the output to a
running instance of http://www.calormen.com/applesoft/) and it doesn't
make my eyes bleed (no guarantees on yours).

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1826667/hamurabi.rb

I spent so much time on it that in the end I didn't clean up all the
puts'. Sorry!