On Oct 26, 12:15    򮮮
> 2009/10/14 Intransition <transf... / gmail.com>:
>
> > I recently came across two different programs that had this line in a
> > bin/ executable:
>
> > LOAD_PATH.unshift(File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../
> > lib"))
>
> > This stuff makes me sad. The use of RubyGems is masking some bad
> > practices here. The above code would not work with a traditional site
> > installation.
>
> It's not for site installation.
>
> It's for packaged applications.
>
> I wrote a pure ruby application that you can just unpack and run, no
> need to "install" it on your system, and it uses the exact code you
> show except it does not use the "/../".
>
> This is ideal for situations when you do not want to require the users
> to have a development environment ready to "install" the application.
> Just having a ruby interpreter preinstalled from a binary package
> suffices.
>
> Thanks

Hi Michal

I've seen equivalent code in quite a few projects. Maybe they all have
the same reasoning, though I suspect they are just copying form one
another. Which is really why I wrote that blog post --so people at
least are aware.

I've thought about it further and I think maybe something "larger
picture" is actually taking place. I wrote a follow up post:

  http://proutils.github.com/2009/10/fhs-revolt.html

Thanks.