On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 12:10:13PM +0900, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Here's a thought... how easy would it be to make a converter for an
> > rpkg file to a dpkg file?  So that system packaging freaks like me
> > could "rapt convertdpkg <rpkg file>", and install the deb

There are even tools that convert from .tar.gz to .deb (far from
cleanly, granted), so I guess a .rpk to .deb conversion should be
relatively easy.

> Anyways, install the rpkg as a dpkg, to help fulfill dependencies for
> packages on that machine.  The same could possible be done for rpkg to RPM
> or whatnot.  So then, on systems with a decent native package format, the
> system packaging can be used, while systems without packaging can use just
> rpkg.

As above, yes, though problems with package naming might arise (what
if a ruby package depends on a non-ruby package that is named
differently across distributions?).

> Also, I don't know how well apt/rpm supports "hooks", but it might be cool
> to just have them search for packages in rpkgs whenever looking for a
> libruby-* package or something.

I think we're inviting SF for lunch here, but even long time users
keep discovering things about apt that look like SF, so who knows, we
might be not entirely out of luck. :-)

Massimiliano