--00504502cd68ee243b047730185f

Actually, chomp!(string) doesn't modify string, it modifies $_ (which, if I
recall correctly, is set by the -n and -p switches to ruby).

String#chomp! modifies the recipient.

Finally: ruby is a pass-by-reference language, so if you actually do make
changes the parameters of a method, the callers variables will change as
well.  For instance:

def make_bacon(string)
  string.replace "Chunky bacon."
end