Hi folks!

I'm an experienced Rails developer, but for once this is not a Rails
question.  Rather, I have a desktop app I'd like to create -- we're
talking something like a spreadsheet-type app, though not quite.  Since
I've been using Ruby more than any other language for the last 2 years,
and since I love working in Ruby, I'd like to try to write the app in
Ruby to the extent possible.

Since this is meant as an end-user productivity application for
nontechnical users, and since I'd like the barriers to use of this app
to be as low as possible, I have a couple of requirements:
* Must run on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows, preferably with a minimum of
hassle in the build process
* Must install with a minimum of extra dependencies -- ideally I'd like
people to be able to download an executable, unzip it, and run it
immediately, without needing administrator permissions
* Should feel as much like a native app as possible -- I don't want
users to have to deal with an alien UI

I suppose I could go the RIA route, but I tend to think a native app
would be better...

So...does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to do this in Ruby?
My thought process so far has been about like this -- feel free to
correct me on anything I got wrong.

* RubyCocoa: would be my first choice if I didn't care about
cross-platform compatibility, but I don't think I can expect to run a
RubyCocoa app on anything but Mac OS and maybe GnuStep
* Ruby/Tk, Ruby/Qt: I'm under the impression that these tend to need big
library installations, especially on Windows.  Is that correct?
* wxRuby: Don't know a heck of a lot about it
* Shoes?  Is that still around now that Why has vanished?  Is it worth
using?
* JRuby/RJB: at the moment, seems like the best choice (as much as I get
annoyed by working with Java).  Is that an accurate assessment?  If so,
what tends to get used for GUI libraryies?  Swing/Monkeybars/Profligacy?
* Any other suggestions?

I hope I'm not being too idiotic here.  I don't know nearly as much as I
should about the current state of desktop GUI app development in Ruby,
and I'd like to fix that!  Thanks.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser