Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> writes:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 15:13 , Bill Kelly wrote:
>
>> Wow!  That Fibonacci example onhttp://kenai.com/projects/duby/pages/DubySamples
>> is really neat, especially the return value inferencing.
>> I would love it if ruby had something baked-in to the language that
>> was
>> so unobtrusive, so much like writing regular ruby, but which could
>> compile to fast static code.
>
> You do NOT need static code for it to be fast. See smalltalk, self,
> and many many other examples.
>
> Ruby's method dispatch is pathologically slow.

"Fast" is a relative term, and I'd agree that Ruby can be faster w/o
resorting to static typing, but it does seem that statically typed
languages such as Haskell, OCaml, C, Java, etc. have a performance
edge over dynamically typed languages in general.

Or it could be that I'm just not aware of dynamically typed languages
that are faster than the statically typed ones listed above.

--
Brian Adkins
http://lojic.com/