--1926193751-770080717-12566412481234

Hi --

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Phrogz wrote:

> On Oct 26, 6:46     쮮
>>> need to separate strings into arrays for a program that I am making.
>>> For example, if I have the string 'abc', I'll want to make it into the
>>> array ['a', 'b', 'c'].       >>> 1.8.6, by the way.
>>
>> The method you want is String#split:
>>
>> abc'.split(//)  ['a', 'b', 'c']
>

> Here are two other techniques, just for fun:
>
> all_characters  abc".scan(/./)

That won't include newline characters, though, unless you use the /m
modifier.

> all_characters
> "abc".each_char{ |x| all_characters.push(x) }

:-) Actually in 1.9 you could do:

   str.chars.to_a

but he's using 1.8.6.

David

--
The          Ruby training with D. Black, G. Brown, J.McAnally
Compleat     Jan 22-23, 2010, Tampa, FL

David A. Black/Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypal.com)