Hi --

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Ruby Mokx wrote:

> Hey everyone I'm a 14 year-old beginner in ruby and I discovered that I

Welcome!

> need to separate strings into arrays for a program that I am making.
> For example, if I have the string 'abc', I'll want to make it into the
> array ['a', 'b', 'c'].  Is there any way to do this?  I am using version
> 1.8.6, by the way.  All help is welcome.

The method you want is String#split:

   'abc'.split(//)  # => ['a', 'b', 'c']

Split takes a regular expression or string as its argument, and splits
on that pattern. The empty regular expression causes it to split the
string into individual characters.

There are some more bells and whistles to it but that's the basic
idea.

David

--
The          Ruby training with D. Black, G. Brown, J.McAnally
Compleat     Jan 22-23, 2010, Tampa, FL

David A. Black/Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypal.com)