when you write
var1 = "qweqwe"

you should think you are writing
var1 = String.new("qweqwe").

if you want to replace the string in var1, then you should use something
like this var1[0..-1]= "qweqwe"

Remember everything in ruby is an obect, even strings and numbers. Even if
the interpreter allows reductions like str = "toto" or num = 33, it's
nothing else than str = String.new("toto") and num = Fixnum.new(33).
Though it's a bit trickier for Fixnum if I understand well.

Simon ARNAUD
aka Maz