--001636eee491b5e7df0476570376

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Thomas Sawyer <transfire / gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok. But I think maybe you are missing my point. I'm not pushing a dogma.
> I am making an emphasis: There is no reason to use relative loading at
> all in those cases. To re-phase... I'm not telling you not to do it. I
> am telling you there is absolutely no need for you to do it.
>
> I'm very much doubt there are any outlay cases. But if there are, I'd be
> more than ready to amend these "rules".

Just a general description of how you handle code loading within a gem
that's "under development" (i.e. all code lives in a directory somewhere,
not in a gem) while requiring minimal/no changes to a "released" gem (one
which loads through a RubyGems-defined LOAD_PATH) would be helpful.

Or for that matter, how about selectively pulling in files which require the
toplevel gem but exist under subdirectories within the gem, and need to load
the gem in order to function?  How would you handle that?

If there's some magic tricks I'm missing to solving these sorts of
conundrums, I'm certainly interested in hearing them.  I think for the most
part something like require_all/require_rel takes care of a lot of the
problems of code loading, and certainly isn't my own solution, just my
implementation, but I'm curious how people solve these sorts of problems
without it.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh/Nagravision