thiagobrandam wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have to do some statistics calculations (normal distribution, etc)
> in Ruby and I don't seem to find much of it in the language itself.

Ruby 'describes' itself as a dynamic scripting/programming language. R
'describes' itself as a statistical programming environment.

The ruby community also offers you RSruby which is a bridge between Ruby
and the R interpreted language see here
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rsruby/. There could be others too.

> Would be the R statistics package the best solution so far?
There many statistical programs and packages. It might depend with your
knowledge and tasks to choose which one to use. Most statistical
algorithms and theories are available in public domain. You can
implement them in your programming language of choice or stick with a
known package that implements them to avoid reinventing the wheel.