Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Aaron Patterson
> <aaron / tenderlovemaking.com> wrote:
>> God help people installing JRuby on windows.  I think it would take me many
>> days
>
> There are two steps to installing JRuby on Windows:
>
> * Install JVM (if it hasn't been installed already)
> * Unpack JRuby
>
> Done.

You don't have to set up your environment to point at the JVM?  How hard
is it to find, download, and install the JVM?  How about the same steps
for JRuby?

I only had to "unpack MRI" to install it, and somehow it took way more
than 1 step.

> With JRuby 1.4, there's even an installer that can do those two steps
> in one shot, plus tweak your PATH. And JRuby 1.4 will have a native
> jruby.exe as well.

Tweaking your PATH isn't a step?  I'm confused again...

I installed JRuby 1.4 that included the JRE.  It was exactly 1 step less
than installing MRI on windows.  But the limit of (n - 1) as n
approaches infinity is still infinite.  Believe me, I felt like I was
approaching infinity.

I would reproduce my last email with JRuby, but this was a dig on
windows, not JRuby.  Next time I'll more clearly indicate that I'm
trying to be funny.  I'll also say "MacRuby" instead of "JRuby".  ;-)

> It is vastly simpler to install JRuby than you might expect :)

Nothing on windows is simpler than I might expect.  Except getting
viruses.  That was super easy.  Also getting little popups in the lower
right.  I'm *super good* at getting those little popups.  I don't even
have to click!

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/