On 2009-10-16, Steven Price <priceey316 / hotmail.com> wrote:
> but when I run it i get an error: any ideas? i have't seen anything like
> this before...

> *** glibc detected *** ruby: malloc(): memory corruption:
> 0x000000000099d890 ***

This means that there is a bug somewhere in some code (probably, but
not necessarily, in libMagicCore.so.2) which is corrupting allocated
space in some way -- writing past the end or beginning of an allocated
block, trying to free something that wasn't a pointer provided by malloc,
or whatever.

Note that the point of detection is not necessarily the point at which
the corruption was initiated.

The last time I had something similar to this, I did an experiment:  I
disabled the garbage collector during a small hunk of code, and the problem
went away.  That was enough to let me track down a bug in a ruby gem
which could result in access to previously-garbage collected hunks of memory.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam / seebs.net