Axel Etzold wrote:
> Dear Paul,
>
> thank you for responding. However, I am not looking for a way of
> dealing
> with a Matrix as such ( there would be no need to use Java for it),
> but I need to talk to a specific implementation of Matrix methods in
> Java.
>
> I can do that nicely in JRuby, since the latter is basically Ruby 1.8.6
> implemented in Java (rather than in C), but I have this syntax issue:
>
> I want to use a Java class from JRuby (that's in principle possible),
> but my JRuby script reads the definition with the curly brackets as
> a Hash (Ruby syntax), and I am searching for a way to prevent that.
>
> Thank you very much for further help!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Axel
> --
> GRATIS f alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!

I think I must be missing something.  Where is this definition coming from?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I think you're asking...

You have a java library with a method that takes an matrix (an array of
arrays) and need to call that method using an object created in JRuby yes?

If that√‘ the case you should (and I'm not a JRuby user so don't shoot me
if I'm wrong)  be able to create an matrix using the ruby syntax:

a = [[1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4], [2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4], [3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4]]

and then call the Java method on that JRuby maxtrix:
b=Class.method(a)

and through the magic of JRuby all should be well.

If I've misunderstood please clarify.  I think half the reason you
haven't gotten many responses is no one understands the question.