On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Brian Candler <b.candler / pobox.com> wrote:

> Ilan Berci wrote:
> > You are trying to install a gem that requires compilation and you are on
> > Windows box which means that you either don't have a compiler (such as
> > MSVC) or you installed the wrong gem (There may be a windows version for
> > "rice")
>
> and/or the gem might not be compatible with ruby 1.9.
>
> I don't see any mention of 1.9 at rice.rubyforge.org, and I've also
> checked out svn/trunk and don't see any mention of 1.9 in the commit
> logs.
>
> I believe there have been changes to the low-level C API between 1.8 and
> 1.9 - these may or may not affect rice.
> --

Rice is not 1.9 compatible right now. I hope to get that taken care of soon
(slated for 1.4).

George, can you post what's
in C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rice-1.1.0/gem_make.out

Though as for building on Windows, I know it works over Cygwin, I doubt it
works over mingw, and I know it's not going to compile over VisualStudio
tools.

I'm working on a 1.3 release which I hope to have out soon. 1.1 is quite old
and there's been a ton of work since then. I'd recommend getting the source
from http://github.com/jameskilton/rice and building from there until this
new release is out.

Also, we've got our own mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-rice or I idle on IRC freenode