On 2009-10-12, Paul Smith <paul / pollyandpaul.co.uk> wrote:
> At least, mocking up an example is fine, but check that the mocked up
> example demonstrates the same failure.  In this case, your mocked up
> example did not, and having seen that, you would likely have solved
> the problem yourself :)

Yes.  And be sure the mockup is actually representing the problem as such...

My favorite example of recent memory:  Someone reported a bug, which
was that the compiler was generating an instruction not supported by a
particular CPU.  The submitted reproducer, to simplify things, simply
included the unwanted instruction in inline assembly...  It took some
prodding to discover that there was an actual, underlying, problem.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam / seebs.net