On Thursday 08 October 2009 08:15:06 am Kazimir Majorinc wrote:
> I want to
> compare opinion of Ruby and Lisp programmers on eval.
> If you want to contribute few seconds, the poll is
> on my blog, on the top of the right column.
>
> http://kazimirmajorinc.blogspot.com

There wasn't an option for "Absolutely essential for the one time out of a
billion you actually need it. Otherwise, avoid it entirely."

I can't remember the last time I used eval directly in Ruby, and I've seen it
maybe once or twice in library code. I've also seen it abused by people who
really should know better. 90% of the time you find yourself reaching for eval,
you're Doing It Wrong. Another 9% of the time, you're working around a missing
language feature, and it'd be better to fix that feature, or at least bury your
use of eval deep in a library.

But there was the time I used Javascript on HD-DVD, which had many
limitations, including not having eval. And many of its other limitations
could've been worked around if there had been an eval. A simple example:
Downloading and executing code was complex and often disruptive -- eval
would've made it trivial.

So... I avoid languages that don't have eval. But I avoid using eval in the
languages I use. Does that make sense?