On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:07:18AM -0700, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> > What is the policy of the interpreter in accessing these directories?
> > Does Ruby 1.6 access /usr/lib/ruby/1.6 only, while Ruby 1.7 accesses
> > both /usr/lib/ruby/1.7 and /usr/lib/ruby/1.6?
>
> ruby 1.7 looks only in the 1.7 directories, ruby 1.6 looks only in the
> 1.6 directories.

This is a little worrying.  It means that if you install a development
version, by default you cannot use most of the modules, since they get
installed for the stable version (in this case under 1.6).

I also wonder what will happen in Debian and the likes when ruby1.8
will be out...  maybe the post-install scripts will take care of
renaming 1.6 to 1.8, replacing the files from the standard lib, and
leaving the rest where it is.  Uhmmm...

> > Should a module working in 1.6 and 1.7 be placed in .../1.6?  Should
> > a module working in 1.7 but not in 1.6 be placed in .../1.7, and so
> > on?
> Try "sitedir":
>
>     ruby -r rbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["sitedir"]'
>     /usr/local/lib/site_ruby
>
> Or have people install it once for each version of ruby they have.

I'm asking because of decisions in the design of the package
manager... unfortunately the whole point is deciding in advance the
right places for the most automatic and clean behaviour.

Thank you.

Massimiliano