>>Note that this does *not* use Cygwin, so some I/O functionality
	>>will not be available.

Probably some odd things with signal handling and other Unix-y areas.

	>Hmmm.  Please forgive my silly question, but does this mean that
	>the "installer" doesn't require cygwin, or that ruby doesn't
	>use cygwin?

Both.

	>If the latter, what is the major advantage(s) of creating a
	>"native win32" stream? Is there some pressing reason not to
	>use the cygwin dll?

The will of the people seems to indicate that the myriad
difficulties inherent in using cygwin are simply not worth
the effort, so by popular demand I'm packaging the installer
using the native version, not the cygwin version.  I expect
this will cause some amount of pain and grief in the short
term, but will leave the community better off in the
long term.

/\ndy