On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Martin DeMello <martindemello / gmail.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that the ruby quiz has been getting few responses of
> late. In one sense I'm part of the problem; I seldom do the quizzes
> myself. However, I do like setting them, and have fun thinking up
> quizzes that are (reasonably) quick and (hopefully) enjoyable. So I
> put it to you - what sort of quizzes do you enjoy? More
> algorithm-based? More focused on a fun result (a game, some pretty
> pictures, etc)? Something "real world" that gives you the satisfaction
> of writing a useful program? Something that encourages you to explore
> the libraries out there? Something competitive? Pick out one or two
> quizzes that you enjoyed doing and say why.

Hi,

I enjoyed all the quizzes I participated, and even those I didn't even try.
In my case the problem has been a lack of time, due to personal
routines changing: my company moved to a different location (much,
much further), plus my two kids just started the school, so when I end
all the day tasks I'm so exhausted I can't even think to start
thinking about a quiz.

Anyway, the one I enjoyed most was the one about generating all the
strings that matched a regex. I think i got hooked because of the
theme of the problem: I like regex stuff, although I'm no expert by
any means. In general I like easy-medium ones, and of those I like
best the ones where most of the work/think time goes into how to do it
in Ruby, and not in the algorithm itself.

Another one that I liked a lot was the Twitter personalities. I had
some interesting (for me :-) ideas for this one, but only during
shower or driving, so no time to even start it :-).

Anyway I would love for RubyQuiz to continue, since I think it's a
great resource for the community, and I'm a little bit sad that the
number of solutions has decreased so much over time. Whenever I can
spare a little bit more time I would love to get involved again.

To finish I would like to thank the people that have managed to keep
this running. Let's hope we can bring everybody back to the level of
involvement it had !!

Jesus.