On 2 Oct 2009, at 13:15, Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
>> As an obsessive problem solver myself this baffles me, but it seems
>> be the normal human condition. The moral of the story being, there's
>> no place for normal human beings in software development ;)
>>

> I've come to accept that "How does this work?" is not the first
> question
> that most people ask. Usually, the first thing people say is "I want
> do this". The difference in mindset is astounding :)

Even when I was little I was painfully aware of the difference. When I
used to ask "why?" what I always really meant was: explain to me
everything you know about this so I'm not completely clueless when I
disassemble it (and I pretty much disassembled everything in the
house). When my friends asked "why?" they always seemed to mean
"what's in it for me". Funnily enough none of them have childhood
scars from screwdrivers and soldering irons either lol

Ellie

Being and Doing are merely useful abstractions for the time-dependent
asymmetry of phase space.