> Hello! I have irb/gem/ruby1.9 installed in /opt/local/bin. Recently  I
> tried to install 'wirble'...
>
> /opt/local/bin/gem1.9 install wirble
>
> I got a message abuot not having write access to /opt/.../gems or
> something along those lines, so it said it would install to ~/.gems,
> which I thought was just fine (and it goes on to say since i done have
> ~/.gems/ruby/1.9/bin in my path, I cant run gem executable. Fine for
> now, I'll change it later.). But when I go into irb1.9 and hit 'require
> "wirble"', I get an unknown gem error.
>
> I'm thinking I'm missing some sort of system variable to determine
> otehr
> gem paths for including.
>
> Any help?

Your message isn't clear, but I suspect that the message you are seeing
Is saying you DON'T have ~/.gems/ruby/1.9/bin in your path. You can check this
easily. Assuming you are using bash just do:

echo $PATH

Does that have ~/.gems/ruby/1.9/bin?  If not you can add it temporarily:

PATH=$PATH:~/.gems/ruby/1.9/bin
export PATH

This will do what you need until the next time you log out or close the terminal.
To make it permanent, add the 2 lines above to ~/.bashrc (may vary by system).

Note: If there are other users on this system that will also want to use wirble,
you definitely want to sudo or su, so it can be installed in the global gems location.

Hope this helps!