--0016e6d644f5aeaaed0474e0e87e

2009/10/1 Rocir Santiago <rocirleite / gmail.com>

> Hi, NicolŠ‘.
>
> Thanks for the reply. My switch works fine with SNMP. It's 3com Baseline
> Switch 2226 Plus.

Problem is though it may support SNMP protocol it sure won't support all the
options (OIDs) the RFC defines. Some switches do support listing known
devices, some don't.

> My doubt it's about the ruby code to find the MAC
> address of each computer "pluged" in my switch. I can figure out some
> examples at the doc page of this lib. But when I just try to get the
> ifPhysAddress, the application raises an error and I don't know why.

My experience with SNMP si mostly in C++, not Ruby, but it may be helpful to
know which exception is your application raising. It may be because the OID
is not supported (no such instance exception) or because it's not defined in
your code. To assert if the switch does support this OID try using snmpget
from console, not from within a program.

BTW, if I remember correctly ifPhysAddress will give you the iface's mac
internal to the switch, not the mac of the device in that port (there may be
many known macs per port too).

Regards,
--
NicolŠ‘ Brailovsky - http://nicolasb.com.ar/