Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Michael W. Ryder
> <_mwryder / worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> I was looking for a program like lint in C and came across nitpick.  I
>> installed the gem but am not sure where to go from there.  With lint one
>>  ran it from the command prompt with the file name.  I don't know how to do
>> this with gems.  If I try to run it like lint I get over a dozen lines of
>> error messages and no output.
>
> ripple:~/$ sudo gem install nitpick
> Password:
> Successfully installed trollop-1.14
> Successfully installed nitpick-1.0.2
> 2 gems installed
> Installing ri documentation for trollop-1.14...
> Installing ri documentation for nitpick-1.0.2...
> Installing RDoc documentation for trollop-1.14...
> Installing RDoc documentation for nitpick-1.0.2...
> ripple:~/$ which nitpick
> /usr/bin/nitpick
> ripple:~/$ nitpick --help
> Nitpick is a lint-like static code analyzer for Ruby.
>
> Usage: `nitpick [(--only str | --except str)*|-h] file1.rb file2.rb`
>
> By default, nitpick will analyze *all* loaded code. To reduce the noise:
>     --only, -o <s>:   Nitpick only classes/modules that match this string.
>   --except, -e <s>:   Don't nitpick classes/modules that match this string.
>         --help, -h:   Show this message
> ripple:~/$
>
> Are you sure your installation ran all the way through?

The first time it installed a bunch of dependencies.  I just ran it
again and after saying that it was installing RDoc files for nitpick the
following message appeared:
   lib/nitpick/sexp_extension.rb:3:23: ':' not followed by identified or
operator
Trying to just use nitpick --help results in a bunch of error messages.
  Could this be related to the version of Ruby (1.8.4) or that I am
running this on Windows XP Pro?