> def find_unused_house_id(start_point = 0)
>   while (DataBase[:house][:id => start_point])
>     start_point += 1
>   end
>   start_point
> end

This is what I had written when you came alone.

  def find_unused_house_id()
    parking_spot_number = 0
    while(DataBase[:house][:id => parking_spot_number])
      parking_spot_number += 1
    end
    return parking_spot_number
  end

eerie right?!  You were right on the money of what I wanted.  I had
assumed that a 'nil' return would be taken as false.  By your code
example, i was correct to assume that.  I also was explicitly returning
the value, why didn't you?  Is that a ruby thing?

My only issue is that this does not work and I don't know why.  I have
essentially what you have right?  It should be noted that I am calling
this function in an odd way.  I am using JavaScript from a *.rhtml file
using a direct 'request' via this code:

var myHouseRequest = new Request({
     url: "/find_unused_house_id/"
}).send();

now I explicitly returned the count from ruby but I have no access to
the variable 'parking_spot_number' from the JavaScript.  At least I
don't think I do.

So although I think the ruby code should work, I have no proof that it
is working.