Hi Richard & Axel,

First, thanks for both your replies.  I will see the links more
carefully in the next couple of days.

Richard Conroy wrote:
> Are you looking for a general introduction to these concepts, or a Ruby
> specific one? Or both?

Actually, I'm looking for both.  Having always programmed in English on
projects where supporting English was completely acceptable, I feel the
lack of connection to the issue altogether.  I want to gain a
clear-enough understanding of this issue so that I'm then able to work
with it comfortably.

Given that, I'd like to start to play with the concepts in a language
that gets out of the way and lets me learn the problem area.. hence, my
interest in learning it through Ruby since I anyway use Ruby as much as
I use C/C++.

> Joel wrote a really good introductory piece a few years ago:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
>
> Tim Bray has written well on the topic also:
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/04/06/Unicode (and not limited
> to this article)
>
> There is also the main Unicode site:
> http://www.unicode.org
>
> It might be a good idea to float this question on
> http://www.stackoverflow.com - its probably asked a lot,
> and is probably well answered.

Thanks again for the links.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions :)

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/29/2009 | 12:39 AM.