On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_mail / onghu.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm sorry that this is a bit Off Topic, but I was wondering if there's
> a good resource that you could point me to for understanding
> internationalization, localization and encodings.  With the new support in
> 1.9 and in other tools also, I want to learn the basics and see how they
> apply to Ruby.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (Again, apologies for the slight OT nature of this post).
>
> Thanks,
> Mohit.
> 9/28/2009 | 1:48 PM.

Are you looking for a general introduction to these concepts, or a Ruby
specific one? Or both?

Joel wrote a really good introductory piece a few years ago:

Tim Bray has written well on the topic also:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/04/06/Unicode (and not limited
to this article)

There is also the main Unicode site:
http://www.unicode.org

It might be a good idea to float this question on
http://www.stackoverflow.com - its probably asked a lot,
and is probably well answered.

regards,
Richard.