On 09/27/2009 08:45 PM, Jim Burgess wrote:
> Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. That helps me greatly.
> I am currently reading a ruby book (in German, just to make things a bit
> simpler) and am on the reg ex chapter. It's hardcore!
> Thanks again.

Es gibt ja auch noch de.comp.lang.ruby. :-)

Btw, David you wrote

> In this particular case, the first + doesn't matter, because the
> pattern will keep going until it finds a space, so normal rules of
> (non-)greediness don't apply.

I believe you meant "the first ? doesn't matter" - as leaving out the
"+" would indeed make a difference but it's the non greediness addition
which does not make a difference to matching.

Kind regards

	robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/