--_fe319f55-2a15-460a-88df-7465fbd00c45_

> Is it the case that such "anonymous" objects like regexps (maybe also
> strings?) are re-created whenever the code snippet they are defined in
> is executed?  If so, is there a convenient way of preventing this?  Is
> this only the case for regexps or also for strings and other objects?
> (Why is it the case at all - I can't make any sense of it?)  I would
> like to learn how I can write Ruby code that is reasonably efficient
> in this regard because the impact on execution time in the described
> situation was so immense.  (I'm currently using Ruby 1.9.1.)

Yes, indeed a new object is indeed created every time an anonymous objects created. The only core object I know of for which this is not true is the symbol, which is basically an immutable string. There may be others I'm not aware of though. I suppose your code shows that there just might be aeed for the symbol equivalent of a regexp.

Hotmailhas ever-growing storage! Don√’ worry about storage limits.
http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_Storage_062009-_fe319f55-2a15-460a-88df-7465fbd00c45_--