On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:11:34 -0400, Andrew Hunt <andy / Toolshed.Com>
wrote:
>    >>"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" wrote:
>    >>> Considering the heaps of praise Eiffel has recieved
>    >>> from the OO community I would suspect that most feel it has benefit.
>
>I personally like Eiffel.  I think it has great benefits.  But
>while everyone praises it, no one uses it.  Why is that?  Is
>it more academically correct and not as convenient as it could be?

Come on. You know. Everyone knows.
The reason that I've never given Eiffel more a perfunctory glance,
is the same reason that few people use it.  Bertrand Meyer is a
!@#$(*& asshole. He sorounds himself with a bucn of sycophants
who are assholes too. A lot of people just get disgusted and  go away.

Even so I would not talk. I suspect that ( outside of Japan ) Eiffel
is several times more popular than Ruby.

>That speaks more of the programmers than the language, I think.
>The contrasting story goes like this: it took five months to
>write the code in C++, get it to compile without warnings, not
>core dump, link in under a day, etc., and then only five months
>to get it to work right.

Yep. I've seen that too. Look at the programmers that did it, and they
generally didn't know C++, though they thought they did. Reminds of
a person who worked for a "language tools" company that went under.
They shifted from the wonderfull OO langauge to C++ to make money.
One of their progrmmers told me that after 2 months they were better
C++ programmers then 99% of those out there. Yeah, after two months
you barely learn the first Chapter of the manual. No wonder they went
broke.