"Sean O'Dell" <sean / celsoft.com> writes:

> I wanted to use Ruby for my hosting system configuration, web site
> development and also plug it into an XML-over-HTTP application server I
> wrote/use.  Currently, I'm using a blend of script languages and C++, and I
> want to replace my Perl stuff with something more reliable/readable in terms
> of being object-oriented and which uses exception-handling.  Speed isn't
> that much of an issue, but memory resources are.  Memory gets out of hand
> quick already, so when I think of all those strings/numbers/objects lying
> around as zombie objects after I'm done in a block of code, it sort of gets
> my hair standing up.

It needn't. Ruby is pretty conservative - you'll find it garbage
collects frequently (too frequently sometimes, but that's a
performance issue).

A suggestion. Write a typical application in Ruby, then run it and
monitor its memory usage. Watch the patterns. And see if its
acceptable.

One last thought. Many (the majority?) of server-side web applications
are currently being written in the COBOL of the New Millennium, Java.
And Java uses garbage collection to dispose of objects. Seems to work
fine for these applications. C# (and the clr) use garbage collection
too. It seems to be with us to stay.

Dave