I've just finished installation the Readline extension using your
instructions. The realine.so library was installed in
<install_dir>/ruby-1.9.1/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/i686-linux. I can
require it in simple ruby programs or from `ruby -e "require 'readline'
#=> true"`. Also I can use all the standard command line shortcuts in
the irb console as I wanted. But when I require 'readline' in irb itself
for some reason it returns the false value. Why?

I didn't hear anything about the .irbc files thread. Could you give me
the link, please.