Alan Munn wrote:
> I have a script that processes text from the clipboard. Depending on the
> application the text is copied from, (even on the same platform) lines
> sometimes end in lf, cr, or possibly cr/lf.  What's the best way of
> normalizing the lines so that my script will work independent of the
> actual newlines chosen?

Look at the original strings in the examples:

----------------------------------------------------------- String#chomp
     str.chomp(separator=$/)   => new_str
     Returns a new +String+ with the given record separator removed from
     the end of _str_ (if present). If +$/+ has not been changed from
     the default Ruby record separator, then +chomp+ also removes
     carriage return characters (that is it will remove +\n+, +\r+, and
     +\r\n+).

        "hello".chomp            #=> "hello"
        "hello\n".chomp          #=> "hello"
        "hello\r\n".chomp        #=> "hello"
        "hello\n\r".chomp        #=> "hello\n"
        "hello\r".chomp          #=> "hello"
        "hello \n there".chomp   #=> "hello \n there"
        "hello".chomp("llo")     #=> "he"