On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Joel VanderWerf
<vjoel / path.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Here's an extreme example where this makes a huge difference:
>
> I have a dir tree with large numbers of small gps log files, in CSV format,
> and I want to use ruby -a (autosplit) to work with them.
>
> With RUBYOPT=rgem-fallback (or of course RUBYOPT=''):
>
> $ time find . -type f -exec ruby -F, -ane '$F' {} \;
> RUBYOPT='' find . -type f -exec ruby -F, -ane '$F' {} \; .06s user 1.67s
> system 39% cpu 9.431 total
>
> With RUBYOPT=rubygems:
>
> $ time find . -type f -exec ruby -F, -ane '$F' {} \;
> find . -type f -exec ruby -F, -ane '$F' {} \; 19.02s user 61.52s system
> 93% cpu 4:59.26 total
>
> Of course, awk would probably be even faster, but ...
... that would mean using the right tool for the right task ;)
Sorry couldn't resist. This however does not mean that your
contribution is not very valuable, because Ruby will be the right tool
often enough and even here, maybe you have a team where everybody
knows Ruby but few know awk....
Cheers
Robert

--
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.