2009/9/11 David Masover <ninja / slaphack.com>:
> On Friday 11 September 2009 03:38:34 am Michal Suchanek wrote:
>
>> And yes, flash supports only a tiny fraction of platforms. Macromedia
>> wanted tight control over the flash platform so they disallowed
>> writing alternate flash viewers.
>
> I believe they've since changed this -- so technically, Gnash is allowed to
> simply read the specs.

Yes, perhaps flash support will improve too, eventually.

>> On the other hand, you should be able to run Java and Mono on any
>> platform for which you manage to build a graphical browser.
>
> With the caveat that it has to be installed. For the platforms Flash supports
> (which admittedly isn't all of them), it's already installed. With Java, if
> it's there, it's probably an older version.

How did you get the impression that flash is already installed?

On Windows I do not get flash unless I install it, and I need
administrator rights for installing ActiveX components like Flash.

In Firefox on Linux I normally do not have any flash. If I do want it
I have to download some tarball and find out where to put flash plugin
(or perhaps run an installation script in terminal that might get the
place right). Automatic download of the plugin does not work on Linux.

I don't know about flash on OS X but it's the only platform I know of
that has the Java plugins pre-installed.

Thanks

Michal