Dave Thomas wrote:

>    how should the corresponding XML be generated in terms of
>    nesting. Logically, you might want to see

I'd prefer nesting.  With the other way, you won't be able to as easily
extract information you may want.

One reason why I wrote api2xml was specifically for the XML.  I never got
around to writing the utility, but I had envisioned an 'ri'-like tool where
you could ask "what are the classes that extend A?"  You /could/ perform
this sort of XPath query on your non-nested example, but it would be much
more difficult.

> 2. For hyperlinking between things, should I use my own tags, or are there
>    benefits to using xlink/xpointer?

That's easy: XLink.

1) XLink and XPointer are well defined and not complex.
2) When direct XML support in applications gets better, you'll be able to
benefit directly from it, rather than /having/ to use some transformation
to get the links into something you can use.
3) My guess is that there isn't any significant cost savings in rolling your
own.
4) You'll become more familiar with the standard, thus increasing your skill
set and making you more markettable!  Wahoo!

--- SER