> Notice line's 9 and 12 (the if and else) you do:
> reply = gets.chomp
>
> You also however do so at the beginning of your while loop  (line 6)
> so, your code at line 9 sets reply to the user input, then jumps back
> to the start of your loop and proceeds to do it again. Thus requiring
> 2 sets of input.
>
> Does that make sense?
 Yes, actually yes it does. I get it now. Thanks a bunch for this.

> Hi, Chris, for right now, I think it is probably best to just
accept that you don't understand it.

Have to agree with this it feels like I'm missing step two of three.

> Advice is freely given on the internet.  Some of it is bad advice.

Aye but in the words of Fred Brooks
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad
judgement.

I do not know if these are good ideas or bad ideas, all I do know is the
more I learn the more I'm utterly fascinated by it. It seems I have a
lot more to learn. Thank you everyone for your tips.