7stud -- wrote:
> What output do you get for this:
> puts 'No not since 19' + (rand(5)).to_s + (rand(10)).to_s + '!'
i get "No not since [1900-1949] intergers only
> and what about this:
>
> puts rand(5)    0-4 intergers only
> puts rand(10)   0-9 intergers only
>
>> for
>> instance i wanted it to be like the tutorial said and make it 1930- 1950
>> for the year
>
> For the 30-50 part, how about getting a random number that is greater
> than or equal to 0 and less than 20 and then adding 30 to it?
>  hmmmm i think i tried something like that and got the cannot convert fixnum into string error many times or something it seems ill have to play with the rand method more ahhh i remember i had a problem figuring out how to add intergers and then convert the sum into a string
>
>> the second is during if reply == reply.upcase it gives me a
>> blank line i have to hit enter again before it gives the No not since
>> [year]
>
> In your opinion, what does the last line here do:
>
>>   reply = gets.chomp
>>   if reply == reply.upcase
>>     puts 'No not since 19' + (rand(5)).to_s + (rand(10)).to_s + '!'
>>     reply = gets.chomp
>  reply = gets.chomp? that means im resetting the variable named reply to equal the method get string so that it will be whatever i manually enter with the chomp method so that it ignores my enter keystroke in a broader sense it keeps me in the loop section of the program while providing a way out. im sorry i know im a naturally dense person and i do not get where your going with that one
>
>> also during the second BYE if replyt == 'BYE' even if i put an
>> answer that isnt in caps lock it gives it me a respons as if it was.
>>

> Your code is a mess.  You need to choose an indenting format.  Here is
> what I recommend:
>
> x = 1
>
> while x != 10
>   if x == 1
>     puts "hello"
>   end
>
>   break #im sorry is this a command or just showing you put a line between
           #them?
> end
>

> Note:
>
> 1) The first "end" is indented the same amount as 'if', and denotes the
> end of the if statement.
> 2) Everything inside the while statement is indented more than 'while'
> 3) The last 'end' matches the indenting of 'while', and denotes the end
> of the while loop.
>
> Without proper indenting, you will never be able to follow the logic of
> your code.
Wow i guess i was right not to post what i first had as this is the
cleaned up version <.< as i said im very new to this and im sorry
perhaps ill get more ocd at it with time here lemme try to fix it lol

reply = ' '
replytt = ' '

puts 'Ahh theres my grandson'

while replytt != 'BYE'
while reply != 'BYE'

  reply = gets.chomp

                if reply == reply.upcase
      puts 'No not since 19' + (rand(5)).to_s + (rand(10)).to_s + '!'
#Sorry
      reply = gets.chomp
    else
      puts 'WHAT\'S THAT SONNY SPEAK UP!'
      reply = gets.chomp
    end

end #ahh i see what you mean i have no idea what this belongs too x.x
#im guessing one of the whiles this being all the way up here while the
other
#is at the bottom makes me think that possibly it is one of the problems
#bah i tried it it isnt still one step forward for understanding.

                if reply == 'BYE'
      puts 'Do you really have to go?'
      replyt = gets.chomp
      reply = replyt

                if replyt == 'BYE'
      puts 'Don\'t you wanna hear about the time I met your granda?' #
sorry forum post wont let me line this up right
      replytt = gets.chomp
      replyt = replytt
      reply = replyt

                else
      puts 'WHAT\'S THAT SONNY SPEAK UP!'
      replyt = replytt
      reply = replyt
      reply = gets.chomp

puts 'Come back and visit your old granny again soon.'
puts 'Ill tell you the time I...'
puts 'zzzz...'

i had a little problem keeping up with the ends and how many i needed i
expected the 'orderedness' to come with practice

Once again im sorry i realise this is a newb question for a newb program
and i remeber how i hated frivolous newb WoW questions. But he who asks
a question is a fool for five minutes. he who doesnt is a fool forever.
but i dont even know what to type in the google bar for this and after i
spent 6 hours not going anywhere with it i decided to find people to
help and this looked like the best site i found so far i think i was
right as my brother told me this program would get laughed at as i said
im proud of it its my first one i did the hello world and a program that
got your name and added all the chars together but those just did not
impress me like this one did. =)

hmm i think that wraps up this post i look foward to your next reply =)