Matt Savigear wrote:
> Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>> Is ssh tunneling an option?
>
> Interesting question. It might be if I can automate the whole thing in a
> cross-platform way for non-technical users...

It's not too bad. On windows, give them a batch file that does this:

ssh2 -L 8888:example.com:8888 user / example.com

There may even be a way to automatically set up a tunnel in the ssh
config, but this works too.

The -n and -N options to ssh are useful in this case on linux/unix, but
I haven't tried them on windows.

If you have users set up key-based authentication, then you can even set
up the tunnel from your application code instead of a .bat, and the
users don't have to type username/password.

The huge benefit is that your application code can then mostly ignore
authentication and security issues.