Marc Heiler wrote:
>> This 1.9 install royally messed up by 1.8.7 install, among other things.
>> I've abandoned it completely. Don't have time for this nonsense.
>>

> One strategy - out of possibly many - is to use versioned directories,
> similar to how GoboLinux http://gobolinux.org/ does it. Then installs
> like the one you mentioned have no chance to "mess" up anything at all.

Yeah. Have looked a bit at this, before. Makes so much sense. I now
(today) moving toward getting a test install up and running. Life should
be easy(er). This traditional nix file system is simple insane. Why
don't people fix the problem? (Well, obvious some of them have...)

>> Ah...but getting 1.8.7 working again was a nightmare in itself. Ruby 1.9
>> just won't disappear. Arrrrgh! Sad.

I basically blew the whole day yesterday, working on this problem, only
to end up back where I started.
> If you stick to solutions like the FHS, then the one to blame is not
> ruby,
> but FHS - or you, in this case. People who are not afraid to compile
> from
> source should not complain too loudly if their solution is crappy. ;)

Ouch. (long silence...)
> On Gobolinux (or more generally AppDir strategy) all one does would be
>
>   rm -rf /Programs/Ruby/1.9.1
>
> and gone it is (ok, on Gobolinux you need to remove the symlinks, but
> this can be tied to an event-listener, so the above is still valid).

"event-listener" - please explain, if you have time. I roughly
understand the concept, but could you name one which might be used, say
on gobolinux?
> Most other strategies (such as using a package manager)
> are less elegant than the above ideal of versioned "app dirs".
> (But I do admit that there might be a few other problems, with the
> biggest one possibly that not many people will use this setup, because
> the FHS is ubiquitous and won't disappear. Personally however, I use it
> since 5 years at least for ruby, and it works nicely.)

"It" being gobolinux?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Tom

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc / tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)