Tobias Reif <tobiasreif / pinkjuice.com> wrote:
>1. I get "\366" instead of "φΆ
Set your locale: my .bashrc:
----
export LANG="de_DE"
export LANGUAGE="de_DE"
export LC_COLLATE="C"
export LC_MESSAGES="C"
----
>2. IRB quits by itself.
>3. How do I go back in the line history? On Win/IRB, I use arrow up,
>   and arrow left/rihgt to navigate a line.
>   In Mandrake/(bash(?))/IRB, those don't work
>   (I only see ^[OA etc.equiv.).
You have to compile irb with readline support. Readline should be
installed, but you also have to install the headers (don't know which
package, I'm using Debian)
>[...]
>6. I chose Mandrake for ease of use ... (as with Ruby)
Use Debian ;)

Urban

--
  One can take a trained elephant even into a crowd. The king himself will
  ride a trained elephant. He who is disciplined is the best of men, since