Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2009, at 05:08, Adam Wilson wrote:
>
>> installed in /usr/local/lib .. and I cannot properly uninstall
>> 0.3.0, I
>> tried deleting the files but I still get the error above. Not
>> wanting to
>> mess up the gems on my server I am asking here for advice.
>>
>> Ideally, I would switch RubyGems to use usr/lib as most of my gems are
>> installed there. I could not find it in the docs, any tips much
>> appreciated.
>
> You have two ruby installs.  Fix your $PATH to use the ruby and gem
> executables from /usr/lib.
>
> `gem env` can help you.

Ok, thanks, I did in fact have two Ruby installs... I put /usr/lib at
the front of my path, and that seemed to switch everything to the other
install - which I realised was 1.8.5, I then proceeded to update that
version using the procedure outlined here:
http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/5899 (changing --prefix=/usr/local
to --prefix=/usr) which seemed to work great.

I then proceeded to update my RubyGems again... using gem install
rubygems-update followed by update_rubygems.... but now it seems to have
gone back to an old install of 0.9.0, with no gems listed !!? erk..