Tom Cloyd wrote:
> Mark Moseley wrote:
>> Tom Cloyd wrote:
>>> Confused, I am. What is the difference between ruby-debug (which won't
>>> install with my ruby1.9 installation) and ruby-debug-ide (which also
>>> won't install)..?
>> As far as the command-line:
>>   ruby-debug is for 1.8 only; ruby-debug19 is for 1.9 only
>> For the IDE:
>>   ruby-debug-ide is (supposed to be) for both
> That's helpful, in that I didn't know there was a ruby-debug19. I still
> don't know what rudy-debug-ide is, however. I have been unable to find
> anything about it via Google.

ruby-debug-ide is two things:

1.) a standardized communication protocol between Ruby implementations
(or more precisely Ruby debuggers) and Ruby IDEs. Every debugger that
conforms to the protocol will *automatically* work with every Ruby IDE
that conforms to the protocol and vice versa.

2.) a set of gems that implement adapters for said standardized
protocol for debuggers that are *not* compliant with the protocol,
like ruby-debug for example.

To put it another way: ruby-debug-ide is to debuggers and IDEs as Rack
is to web frameworks and web servers.

jwm