On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:16:02 GMT, Dave Thomas
<Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote:

>However, just to make your like happier, did you know about the
>'rubyunit' hack?  To write test cases, all you need is
>
>   require 'rubyunit'
>
>   class XX < TestCase
>
>      def test_xxx
>      end
>   end
>

>That's it. No suite, and no runner. It finds the test classes and
>methods automatically. it also composes tests correctly if you require
>multiple files like the above into another file. _And_ it runs tests
>by name off the command line if you specify them:
>
>  ruby my_tests.rb test_xxx

Where can I find out more about this?

I'm using Lapidary, is it the official rubyunit release yet (and will it
be) and does it do that?

Last I thought I knew, neither rubyunit nor lapidary had the ability to
automatically find the testing subclasses and methods, and I have a hack
of my own that does that, so all my mains are the same.

But it seems that my problem remains ... if I have code in one file and
tests in another, and I want to initiate testing from whichever editing
window I'm then in, I seem to need the files to require each other ...

unless ... maybe if I develop with the convention that each "project"
has a project.rb file that requires the code files and test files, and
then runs the tests on a parameterless run ... that might be OK.

We need another ruby conf, so I can chat with people and see who uses
TextPad, and how they set it up. Advice here will be appreciated.

Oh ... and what's up with Ruby on Eclipse?

Thanks,

Ronald E Jeffries
http://www.XProgramming.com
http://www.objectmentor.com