2009/8/27 Martin Boese <boesemar / gmx.de>:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 00:39 +0900, Darrin Thompson wrote:
>> That's all I've got so far. Any more help?
>
> I've had same problem a while ago - my program simply stopped to
> communicate with the remote and I also couldn't figure out why. First I
> was restarting the program periodically via cron and later rewrote it to
> send just UDP messages. I just needed to signal another process on
> another host so this was a good option for me. The program was running
> (and stopping) on FreeBSD.
> If you have a lot of data to send I'd consider to use xml-rpc or soap
> instead or drb.

Alternatively implement file transfer on top of DRb, which could be
simply remote iterating through the file in chunks.  That would avoid
issues with arbitrary large DRb method arguments or return values.
Although I have to say that my expectation would be that arbitrary
large Strings should not cause issues with DRb - that would sound like
a bug to me.

Kind regards

robert

PS: I don't believe in IP misconfiguration either. :-)

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/