Pito Salas wrote:
> I would like to take a Ruby app that I've written (that includes a bunch
> of .rb files and other resources) and to other platforms (I am using Mac
> OS X).
>
> More particulary, I'd like to write as simple as possible instructions
> for ech of someone on Mac, Windows and Linux, to install and run my app.
>
> My opening guess (which is probably wrong) is to have them:
>
> - install ruby from the web site
> - install ruby gems from the web site
> - package my application as a ruby gem, including (somehow)
> specification of other dependent gems
> - have them 'gem install' my app
>
> First off, that's already a bit geeky. And second of all, I am not sure
> it would be robust.
>
> Can anyone point me to the latest best practices?

Use JRuby + Monkeybars + Rawr.

Rawr handles the cross-platform packaging, and Monkeybars makes it a
snap to build robust, crossplatform GUI applications.

The .exe and .app files created with Rawr include everything but a JVM,
which is pretty ubiquitous anyway.  End users never need to bother with
what language was used or gems or anything of the sort.

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com            - Smart application development