Hi,

In message "Re: Epic4/Ruby (embedding Ruby in commercial apps)"
    on 02/02/22, Phil Tomson <ptkwt / shell1.aracnet.com> writes:

|So, the question is: Would Ruby's current license (a modified GPL) allow
|it to be embedded in a commercial application without, to quote those who
|are against GPL <paranoia voice>"spreading the GPL 'virus' to the rest of
|the code"?</paranoia voice> I suspect it would be possible: If the Ruby
|portion was a seperate dll or shared library I think there should be no
|worries about the rest of the commercial code becoming 'GPL'.

First of all, it's not under a modified GPL.  It's under *either*
standard GPL or my own terms.

And since my terms allow you not to make your code public, you don't
have to worry about your code to be GPLed, just linking my code.  The
only exception is regex.c under LGPL.  You have to prepare workaround
to embed it in the commercial application (e.g. prepare the way to
re-link regex.o).

I admit this is little bit annoying for commercial applications.
That's why I'm developing a new regex engine from scratch.

							matz.