Seems your question has been answered already, but I couldn't resist jumping
in...

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 02:06:26 am Sarah Allen wrote:
> a method call is really a message to another object:
>
> # This
> 1 + 2
> # Is the same as this ...
> 1.+(2)
> # Which is the same as this:
> 1.send "+", 2

# Which is the same as this, but more efficient:
1.send :+, 2

Any method you try to call will have its name converted into a symbol anyway,
so that is both slightly faster and slightly quicker to type. Probably doesn't
matter here, but I consider it good style.

> # This
> 4.div(2)
> # Is not the same as
> 4 div 2

That is true, and other people have already mentioned that it's syntactic
sugar. However, this isn't as much a limitation as you might think. As 4 is
not a method, I can't make the above work, but it's certainly possible to do
something like this:

foo div 2

Just look at rspec for some ideas... Probably not a beginner topic, though.