Thanks for your replies.

In terms of assumptions, I have never thought that the living,
breathing, private person who is _why has committed suicide; only that
the public persona he uses has ceased to exist.  Hence the use of double
quotes in the subject.

And to be honest I'm surprised that anyone in the Ruby community would
not be interested in the "demise" of a persona such as _why.  He has
taught us a lot about Ruby over the years.  He has brought many peolpe
into the Ruby world through his many gifts - W(p)GtR, Shoes, Hpricot,
etc ad inf.  And he has always done so with great and surprising humor.
What more could we ask for in a teacher?

So my original post was not intended to spam the list.  Only to pique
the interest of others of _why's students, and perhaps suggest that
indeed we have lost _why (the persona).  If this is the case, we can
only hope that his creator will return to the Ruby community in another
form.